Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Changes . . . Good for the Soul

Well, where to begin?!?  I guess explaining the reason for the confusing header is a good place to start.  The 2011-2012 school year was my first year teaching. (Several posts below you will get a glimpse into that world).  Fast forward to the 2012-2013 school year and you get the "big change" - I went from teaching 6 and 7 year olds with moderate to severe Autism to teaching a High School life skills class  in an Alternative School in our county.  The students I had this past year had all been diagnosed with an Emotional Disability and were determined to be better suited in an alternative school setting.  Most are boys, with only 2 or 3 girls, and many have had previous episodes of severe aggression in the "typical" classroom.  Pretty big change, however, through it all I've learned that change is good!  I love what I am doing and feel this is why I went back to school in the first place.  Most of my students function several levels below grade level so I love finding resources on other blogs.  I will be with the same kiddos this year and am really looking forward to it.

People think I'm crazy, but I love the "rowdiness" that I experience every day and I love the behavior management portion of a classroom.  But most of all, I love the look on their faces when they realize that a teacher really does care and has the desire for them to learn.  Hopefully they are learning from me because I know I am learning from them!

Welcome to Room 307.

No comments:

Post a Comment